Leadership endowments advance Barrow's world-class care
Endowments provide stability in an unstable world. Many generous donors have stepped forward to endow programs and chairs, providing Barrow Neurological Institute with a steady stream of income for academic and research priority areas. Without these endowments, the institute would have to rely on patient revenue and grant funds to cover research and academic expenses—an increasingly difficult proposition in today’s challenging economic times.
Endowed chairs have aided in the recruitment of many top doctors and rising stars at Barrow, who joined the institute, in part, because of those endowments. Endowed chairs generate annual income, allowing the physicians and scientists who hold them to pursue research and academic interests.
Equally important is the fact that endowed chairs are awarded only to the top individuals in a field, thus symbolizing the high degree of competency of these individuals in their specialty.
Barrow Endowed Chairs
- Spetzler Neuroscience Innovation Chair, held by Dr. Michael Lawton
- Kemper and Ethel Marley Neurology Chair, held by Dr. Jeremy Shefner
- Evie and Lou Grubb Neurovascular Research Chair, held by Dr. Felipe Albuquerque
- Najafi Family Chair in Neurosurgical Oncology, held by Dr. Nader Sanai
- Karsten Solheim Chair for Dementia, held by Dr. Anna Burke
- Robert Greening Chair for Neuroscience Research, held by Dr. Elliott Mufson
- Sonntag Spine Chair, held by Dr. Juan Uribe
- Dorrance Chair of Vascular Neurology , held by Dr. Michael Waters
Continued investments in endowed chairs will strengthen Barrow’s ability to recruit and retain top brain specialists and scientists—who, in turn, bring new research projects into our community, creating jobs, enhancing the local economy and improving healthcare here and beyond. Supporting an endowed chair is actually one of the most powerful ways of impacting our ability to save lives.
For more information on supporting an endowed chair, call the Barrow Neurological Foundation at 602.406.3041 .