Leave a Legacy: Retirement Plan Assets

Leave a Legacy: Retirement Plan Assets

Discover how to maximize your gift and create a legacy.

Donate to Barrow with a planned gift

Leave your legacy by donating from your retirement accounts. Retirement plans, such as IRAs, offer tax-deferred compounding and accumulation, but distributions are taxed as ordinary income. If you leave the balance of your retirement accounts to your heirs, they will be taxed, whereas other assets can pass tax-free to your heirs. As such, retirement accounts often are the best assets to donate to charitable
organizations, such as Barrow Neurological Foundation, during your lifetime and in your legacy.

Since heirs must pay death taxes on retirement assets, IRAs and other retirement assets should be the first assets considered when giving to a charity if you want to leave tax-free assets to your heirs. To do this, a simple form can be filled out naming Barrow Neurological Foundation as the beneficiary (EIN #86-0174371).

Features, Benefits, and Considerations

  • IRA distributions are taxable, even if they are left to heirs. They do not qualify for the estate tax exemption
  • You can gift up to $100,000 per year from an IRA
  • • Funds must go straight to the charity for the best tax outcome
  • You must be at least 70.5 years old


Learn more about maximizing your gift!
Robyn Nebrich-Duda, Director of Planned Giving & Philanthropy
Robyn.Nebrich-Duda@DignityHealth.org | 602.406.1037

Ways to gift from your IRA:

Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD)

A QCD allows you to give up to $100,000 per year to a qualified charity after the age of 70.5. This can count toward your Required Minimum Distribution.

Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)

You can give directly from your IRA to Barrow to support research you care about. This can help you save on taxes and can potentially lower your tax bracket, which can help you save on Social Security and Medicare taxes.

The information provided is not intended as legal or tax advice. For such advice, please consult an attorney, financial or tax advisor.